The company was founded in 1981 by the CEO Geoff Irons.
- G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd is a specialist building Construction Company serving the Commercial and Industrial market’s need for quality construction services.
- Over the past 36 years the company have built a strong reputation for world-class building construction, deadline- driven completion of projects and pro-active involvement in the planning and management of contracts.
- As a member of the Master Builders Association North, the company has a staff complement of over 300 personnel, with additional manpower and sub-contractors sought as per project requirements.
- The company’s revenue is derived from a 70/30 percentage split between negotiated and tender-based business respectively. They are well-placed to compete in the first tier construction market through a proven track record, decades of experience and expertise, as well as an efficient and dedicated workforce
Services / Market Capabilities
G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd is principally involved in all the aspects of building construction. Such as: 1. Apartments 2. High Spec Gyms 3. Hospital & Clinics 4. Hotels 5. Laboratories 6. Motor Dealerships 7. Offices 8. Parking Garages etc. 9. Shopping Centres 10. Training Centres / Conference Facilities / Cinemas 11. Warehouses / Factories
Product and Service Developments / innovation / research
- All the employees strive continuously to be innovative in the construction industry by using more efficient products.
Position Within Industry
- The company is placed in the medium to large construction market, with a well balanced infra-structure to compete, and complete contracts, from as small as R20.00 million up to contracts in excess of R400 million / R1.5 Billion.
How is the market changing, how is the company adapting
- The company has a very low overhead structure, with all members of management and staff actively involved in the day-to-day operations of the company. - This assists the company to adapt with the cyclical changes of the construction industry.
- The company is growing steadily and is involved with a number of new developments. - No acquisitions are currently planned but the company is spreading its operations into other areas.
What distinguishes company's work from that of competitors?
- At G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd, we believe that good business ethics and goodwill in conducting business are behind our three-decades of success. We believe in fair negotiation and deploying skilled and experienced employees on all projects undertaken, backed by the expertise of our senior management. Although we are exposed to the risk element of the Construction Industry, G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd has a conservative approach to its financial controls and exposure. This has culminated in our sustainability and enabled us to contain the strain brought about by the global economic recession. Our directors are not only involved in the strategic direction of the business, but also in the day-to-day operations and management. By so doing, we are able to ensure efficient and on-time delivery of our promises to clients, while transferring skills and knowledge to our workforce.
Areas of excellence / awards / accreditations
- Safety is a critical issue for G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd. The health and safety of our employees, subcontractors and project managers is of high priority. We have a strategic relationship with Occupational Health and Safety companies which monitor, measure and audit our construction sites for health and occupational hazards. This enables us to ensure a safe working environment and pro-actively prevent incidents and injuries during projects. We also arrange for attendance and participation in safety workshops and seminars on a regular-basis for all levels of management.
Awards • First Place, R50 – R120 Million for SANRAL Head Office, Gauteng Master Builders Association 2010 Regional Health and Safety Competition
• Second Place, above R500 Million for THE VILLA MALL, Gauteng Master Builders Association 2010 Regional Health and Safety Competition.
• Third Place, R200 – R500 Million for RIVERWALK, Gauteng Master Builders Association 2011 Regional Health and Safety Competition.
• Second Place, R150 – R300 Million for NEDBANK LAKEVIEW, Master Builders Association 2013 Regional Health and Safety Competition.
• Second Place, PLANT & STORAGE YARD, Master Builders Association 2012 Regional Health and Safety Competition.
• Third Place, R25 – R75 Million for NATIONAL RESEARCH FOUNDATION, Master Builders Association 2015 Regional Health and Safety Competition
• Second Place, R150 – R300 Million for DUNCAN COURT, Master Builders Association 2015 Regional Health and Safety Competition
• Third Place, PLANT & STORAGE YARD, Master Builders Association 2015 Regional Health and Safety Competition
• First Place, VALLEY VIEW SHOPPING CENTRE, Master Builders Association 2016 National Health and Safety Competition
• Third Place, VALLEY VIEW SHOPPING CENTRE, Master Builders Association 2016 National Health and Safety Competition
• 5 Star Grading Certificate of Merit Award, VALLEY VIEW SHOPPING CENTRE, Master Builders Association 2016
- G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd supports the codes set out in the Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Act. We endeavour to empower Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDI) through the transfer of skills, empowerment and their appointment to senior management roles within the company. Our BEE philosophy and policy extends to our suppliers and sub-contractors who promote upliftment and empowerment of HDIs and the community in general. We take the development of youth seriously and employ University and Technikon students in line with our mentorship programme to train upcoming talent.
- G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd prides itself in the management of world-class projects. Having undertaken the construction of dynamic buildings with superior quality and workmanship, our work has been recognised by the industry.
• “Shopping Centre of the Year” for the Village Shopping Centre in 2007
• “Shopping Centre of the Year” for the Irene Village Mall in 2008.
• Winning position in the SAPOA office development category for SANRAL’S new 4 Star Green Star design AAA-grade corporate head office in Pretoria.
• 2013 Fulton Awards, Winner Building Structure, SANRAL Head Office
• 2013 Fulton Awards, Commendation Architectural Concrete, SANRAL Head Office
- Our experience spans over broad spectrums including the building of shopping centres, office blocks, municipal offices, motor dealerships, hospitals and laboratories, apartments, hotels, training centres, conference facilities, cinemas, warehouses & factories.
• Platinum Planet Fitness Gym & Track, Sandown Isle • Virgin Active • Valley View Planet Fitness, Krugersdorp
3. HOSPITAL & CLINICS
• Intercare, Parkview Shopping Centre • Intercare, Wonderboom Junction
4. HOTELS: • Protea Fire & Ice Hotel – Summit Place, Pretoria • Radisson Blu Hotel, Sandton • Sandown Isle
• Hartbeeshoek Satellite Tracking Station • The upgrading and conversion of Laboratories at CSIR
6. MOTOR DEALERSHIPS:
• Aston Martin Motor Dealership, Sandton • BMW Motor Dealership, Sandton • McCarthy Toyota Menlyn Motor Dealership • Mercedes & Jeep Grand Central Motors, Midrand • Mercedes Lifestyle Centre, Menlyn • Pretoria East Motor Dealership • Sandown Isle • Summit Place Office Block, Phase III GI, Jaguar and Land Rover Dealership
• Advocate Chambers New Office, Pretoria • Auditor General New Offices, Pretoria • Deloitte & Touche New Head Office, Pretoria • Grintek Electronics New Offices • Grovernor Corner Office Block • Hallmark Building upgrade & renovations, Pretoria • Hertford Offices Block A, Midrand • Hertford Offices Block B & C, Midrand • Hillcrest Phase III • Investec Offices, Pretoria • IRS Building at the Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) • KPMG New Head Office, Pretoria • MacRoberts Attorneys New Office • Maxwell Office Block – Phase III, Waterfall Park • Menlyn Woods Office Park • National Research Foundation, Meiring Naude Road, Brummeria • Nedbank Lakeview Office Park • New Municipal Offices & Civic Centre, Bronkhorstspruit • New Parks Dept & Club House • Ozmik Offices • Rand Merchant Bank’s New Office Park, Menlyn, Pretoria • Riverwalk Offices • SANRAL Head Offices • Summit Place Office Park • The Point Offices • Trevenna Offices • USAID Office Block • National Research Foundation - Meiring Naude Road, Brummeria • Summit Place Office Block, Block D, Pretoria • Route 21 Office Park - II Route 21 Corporate Park, Sovereign Drive, Irene, Pretoria
8. PARKINGS GARAGES ETC:
• Duncan Road • Sandown Isle • Summit Place • The Villa Mall
9. SHOPPING CENTRES:
• Atterbury Value Mart Shopping Centre • Brooklyn Square Shopping Centre • BT Ngebs City – Regional Shopping Centre, Mthatha • Cherry Lane Shopping Centre, Pretoria • Elim/ Hubyeni Shopping Centre, Makhado • Greenstone Woolworths Extension • Irene Mall • Kempton Park Checkers • Kolonnade Woolworths Extension • Newlands Phase II • Parkview Shopping Centre • Platinum Square Shopping Centre, Rustenburg • Secunda Mall Shopping Centre • The Villa Mall • The Village Shopping Centre, Moreletta Park • Village Mall, Hartebeespoort • Wonderboom Junction, Pretoria
• Brooklyn Mall, Cinema, Pretoria • National Research Foundation, Meiring Naude Road, Brummeria • Riversand Incubation Hub & Training Facilities, Diepsloot • Sandown Isle • Secunda Mall Shopping Centre, Cinemas
11.WAREHOUSES / FACTORIES:
• Ace Packaging, Randburg • Bophuthatswana Development Corporation, Factories & Workshops, Babelegi • SAFAIR New Parts Store, Bonaero Park • Sakabuka Warehouse • Scientia Techno Park CSIR, Pretoria • 21 Wrench Road, Isando • Route 21 Office Park - Phase II Route 21 Corporate Park, Sovereign Drive, Irene, Pretoria
• Hatfield Square - Phase 2, Student Apartments, Pretoria • Summit Place Office Block, Block E, Pretoria • Valley View Shopping Centre, Krugersdorp • AMKA, Sunderland Ridge • Tshwane Regional Mall, Mamelodi • Mercedes Benz - Menlyn, Pretoria • Planet Fitness - Summit Place, Pretoria • National Research Foundation - Auditorium Fit Out
The People Organization structure
- G.D. Irons Construction (Pty) Ltd has a very low overhead structure, with all members of management and staff actively involved in the day-to-day operations of the company.
- The Directors are Geoff Irons, Pieter Rüde, Theo Switala, Abel Botha, Ron Pretorius, Barry Strydom and Grant Wood.
- The Company is headed by the CEO - Geoff Irons who manages the overall activities and strategy of the company.
- The position of Managing Director is held by Pieter Rüde who actively oversees the management of the construction based contracts, as well as the day to day management of the company.
- The Quantity Surveying function is headed by the Commercial Director, Theo Switala, who attends to all quantity surveying functions i.e. tendering, sub-contract administration, certificates and final account responsibilities with the support of Ron Pretorius.
- The Construction division is headed by Abel Botha, Barry Strydom and Grant Wood.
Workers skills / training / development
- 80 Salaried staff, 40 Artisans, 120 Operators/ semi-skilled tradesman, 300 Labourers, Additional labour & subcontractors are employed as and when required, University and Technicon students are also employed as a service to the construction teams and as part of our training responsibility.
Key indivduals / departments
- The Construction and Operational functions are undertaken by Abel Botha, Barry Strydom and Grant Wood. As Directors with their Contract Managers, they are responsible for programming, quality, progress and the overall management of the construction sites, and liaise with all the professional teams and co-ordinate all construction activities on site.
- They are supported by Construction Manager Piet Visser and Contract Managers: Henk Diederiks, Rudolph Strydom, Dirk Brown, Richard Weaver and Bertus Lombard who manage the larger individual contracts or a series of smaller contracts.
- The company has full-time Contract Managers who are placed on specific contracts. The construction teams are further made up of a number of Site Agents, General Foreman and other Specialized Foreman each of whom are responsible for their own contract or part of a contract, with the support of the management team listed above.
- The office staff comprises of a small team of people who handle the general office administration, buying, receptionist work, wages and all financial and accounting functions.
- The company has built up a reputation of quality building, timeous completion of projects and a pro-active participation in planning and contract management.
Mission / Vision
- To deliver holistic world-class industrial and commercial buildings and construction solutions to the private and public sector, locally and across border work in Southern Africa.
- To become a recognized and reputable first tier building and construction company with a significant market share in the construction industry.